Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Columbus Day

For Columbus Day we decided to take Olivia to the zoo. Because Daniel works for the government he got the day off. (I didn't even realize there was a holiday...) We were excited to have an extra day added to our weekend and wanted to do something fun.

I didn't think Olivia would really notice we were anywhere special, but once we were in the zoo I couldn't even get her attention to take a picture. She was too busy talking to and yelling at the animals. It took a lot of work to get their attention.
She started out riding in her stroller, but she quickly got frustrated with the view. Her dad's shoulders were a lot better for seeing into the animal pens.
At one point she decided she was ready to swim with the ducks.
But we convinced her that probably wasn't a great idea.
In the gorilla house, there was a baby girl gorilla that was born three weeks before Olivia, on January 10, 2009. The baby gorilla was trying to climb out of its mom's arms and into the tree in its cage. It was really wobbly and moved slowly. I think Olivia and that baby gorilla would get along great! So did Olivia.
Olivia fell asleep about a half hour before we left the zoo. She was well overdue for her nap and couldn't keep her eyes open anymore.
Daniel and I saw a few more animals before leaving. A trip to the zoo just isn't complete without seeing some elephants. It was fun to spend a little time with just Daniel. I even got to hold his hand for a few minutes. :)
It was a fun Columbus Day!

5 comments:

Platte and Heather said...

How fun! I have been wanting to take Belle, but wondered if she was too young! Olivia looks so interested...I guess it's about time we get there!!

Elizabeth said...

I just love to go to the zoo. Perhaps it's because I get back to my roots! Glad you had a great time!

Aleena said...

HOW FUN! Olivia looks like she enjoyed it. Looks like your family is doing well. Congrats on finishing your marathon too!

Whitney Ricks said...

I love the picture of her reaching for something and smashing Daniel's face.

BandHGardner said...

Looks like a great time! I miss the days when we got Columbus Day off for school.

I love Olivia's stroller. What is it?