Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lake Powell Trip #1: July 6-9

When we lived in New York, I worked with the boy scouts as an assistant scoutmaster for about a year. In February of this year, I found out that these scouts were planning a high adventure activity to Lake Powell and that they were having a hard time getting enough leaders to attend the trip. Although I hadn't worked with the boys since May 2009, I volunteered to help out. Five of the ten boys flew from New York City to Phoenix where the scoutmaster, Todd Matheny, picked up all the necessary gear from his parents' house and drove to Lake Powell. Todd's dad and uncle also came along, bringing two ski boats. The five other boys were already in Utah with their families for the summer, so I drove them down and we met the rest of the group in Page, AZ.
The goal of the camp was to have lots of fun. We didn't work on a single merit badge.
We did a lot of boating.
And a fair amount of cliff jumping. I was the lucky leader that got to approve the cliffs before the boys jumped off them.
It was great to hang out with the scouts again. It's a really diverse group of kids and it was particularly fun to watch the three inner-city kids, who had never been on an airplane before, as they experienced a whole new world of life jackets and camping in the desert. 

I'm glad they let me join them in Lake Powell. Maybe next year I can accompany them on their ski trip in the Swiss Alps. :)

2 comments:

Whitney Ricks said...

Are they seriously going to the Swiss Alps next year? That is crazy!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness! Cliff jumping. Didn't your mother teach you to be more cautious than that? Obviously not! Just looking at the pictures makes me a Nervous Nellie.