Friday, June 26, 2009

Battle at Midway: June 13, 2009

On Saturday, June 13, I completed my first real triathlon. The Battle at Midway triathlon began at 8:00 a.m. I was in the "sprint" division, which meant that I swam for 800 meters, biked for 22 miles, and ran for 4 miles. As those of you familiar with triathlons might notice, these distances are a little bit longer than a traditional sprint distance triathlon (800-meter swim, 11-mile bike, 3.1-mile run). I finished in 2 hours 46 minutes, and even though it was really hard, I can't wait to do another triathlon!

I dropped my bike off at the first transition area the night before the race. That's where competitors prepare for the race and then where they leave their swim gear after the swim and transition into the biking portion of the race. On the morning of the race, I laid everything out, including my towel, so I could have a quick transition after the swim.


Even though I was nervous before the race, I was really excited! The course, which began at Deer Creek Reservoir and then took us up to Soldier Hollow, was beautiful!


The water temperature at Deer Creek was 54 degrees. I got in the water before the race to get my body adjusted to the temperature (if that's possible) or at least to get over the initial shock.


Making our way around the first buoy (of three total).


After the swim, I felt great!


I hurried to get ready for the bike ride.


Thinking that the hardest part of the race was now behind me, I hopped on my bike with a lot of enthusiasm!



Little did I know how hard it would be to ride 22 miles on a course that was mostly uphill. I was one of only two people with mountain bikes in the entire race. I really appreciate my dad for letting me use his bike while we save up for me to get a road bike. Next time I think I will have an easier time with a bike that is a little more my size.


By the time I got to the second transition area, I was excited to get off the bike and get to my most natural event, the run.


I really enjoyed running through Soldier Hollow on the course used for cross-country skiing in the 2002 Winter Olympics.


Although I had already been going for two hours by the time I started the run, I loved every minute of it!



I felt like crying as I ran through the finish line. I completed a goal that I have been working toward for four years. I was so proud of myself for getting over my fear of open water and for pushing myself up those hills on the bike. It was an experience I will never forget!



Daniel was a great support to me during the race and as I trained. Even during finals last month, he watched Olivia for hours while I practiced my swimming, biking, and running at the gym. And Olivia has been a good sport about the whole thing too. Lucky for Daniel, she slept through most the race!


8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Way to go Andrea! We know how hard you have worked, and we are so proud of you. We were so sad that we weren't able to be there. Next time plan on us.

Marjean said...

Awesome! Doubly awesome when you consider Andrea is breastfeeding a 4-month-old baby. I loved the comment on the biking video, "Did she just have that baby?" Supermom! I am so proud of you!

Dad said...

As I watched the video of Andrea crossing the finish line, I felt so excited and proud. Congratulations. What a tremendous achievement!

SqUiRt said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome! It's just not right that you look so good and are smiling throughout the whole thing. That really is awesome!

homemade by jill said...

WOW, Andrea! You are amazing.

BandHGardner said...

Congrats, Andrea! What a fantastic accomplishment.

Platte and Heather said...

You are amazing!!! Congratulations on doing it!!!

laurel said...

This is so impressive Andrea! You are amazing and I am very proud of you! And Olivia is looking so cute.